Church of St. Withburga
The flint church of St. Withburga is situated half a mile north-west of the hall. There is evidence of a church here from Saxon times but the oldest surviving tower, which, although heavily rebuilt, dates from the 13th century. A heraldic glass panel in the south-east chapel records restoration work initiated by the Dowager Countess of Leicester in the 1760s, but the church as we see it today owes much to the restoration in 1868-69 by the architect James K. Colling for the 2nd Earl of Leicester.
In 1990, the 7th Earl continued the family tradition of restoring St. Withburga’s. His gift, in memory of his mother Moyra, was the installation of electricity and major redecoration. The redecoration was designed by Inigo Monk, who also painted the reredos representing The Trinity in the Juliana Chapel.
|1st Sunday of the month||9.30am – Communion|
|2nd Sunday of the month||11am – Matins|
|3rd, 4th & 5th Sundays||No service|
Please note: Services are held in the church from Easter Sunday to Remembrance Sunday inclusive. Thereafter winter services are held in Holkham Hall Chapel (entrance through the north gates to Holkham Park and the door to the left of the main door of Holkham Hall which will be open 30 minutes before the service begins).