The diverse and historic landscape we maintain at Holkham consists of a six and a half acre walled garden currently undergoing a phased project of improvements and restoration. Eleven acres of private formal Victorian terraces with box parterres and fountain, and an adjacent arboretum and pleasure grounds. We also maintain large areas of formal lawns, wildflower areas, gardens surrounding the Victoria Hotel and Ancient House, green space in Holkham Village, Longlands Business Park and a number of visitor car park facilities on the wider estate.
We are looking for a practical, effective and knowledgeable seasonal gardener to assist with the day to day maintenance and improvement of this large garden department. You will be helping to achieve our design plans in the walled garden and will be working to ensure that the gardens, Holkham Park and wider estate are well, and appropriately, maintained.
Tasks vary on a daily basis and will include, but not be limited to:
• To communicate regularly with the Head Gardener and Gardens Supervisor and to carry out all reasonable tasks.
• To ensure your work is carried out as part of the Gardens team and to complete assigned tasks.
• To ensure all work is carried out to a high standard on all areas of the estate.
• To ensure all aspects of safe working practice and health and safety legislation is adhered to at all times.
The successful candidate will:
• Have a real passion for gardening and a keen interest in plants.
• Have practical, hands-on garden experience, preferably within an estate environment.
• Have good basic plant knowledge and willingness to develop this. PA1/PA6 spray certificates are desirable.
• Have a clean driving license.
• Be hardworking, flexible, energetic, conscientious and trustworthy.
• Have a genuine commitment to work to the highest possible standard with excellent attention to detail.
• Be good at taking direction but also be able to work under their own initiative and solve problems
• Be able to work in a team as well as stand-alone.
• Have good communication skills.
• Be diligent with regards to Health and Safety
• Have an affinity with Our Five Great Behaviours
Pay and Benefits
This is a seasonal position to the end of October 2021. 40 hours per week, including weekend working on a rota basis.
Salary: £9.50 per hour
We offer a range of staff benefits - click here to find out more
Please email your CV and a covering letter to our Head Gardener, Mark Morrell, at email@example.com
Closing date Wednesday 11th August 2021